Sunday, June 9, 2013

Psalm 34

General Information:

Liturgical Uses:
         Responsorial psalm, communion song.


Refrain:                          
"Taste and see the goodness of the Lord."






Verses:                          

1) I will bless the Lord at all times
God's praise shall e'er be in my mouth.
Let my sould glory in the Lord;
the lowly will hear and be glad.

2) Glorify the Lord with me;
Let us together priase God's holy name.
I sought the Lord who answered me,
And delivered me from all my fears.

3) Look to God that you may be radient with joy,
And you face not blush with shame.
When the aflicted called to God,
God heard and saved them from all distress.

Arrangement:

Vocal:                       

Refrain:  Unison congregation and choir with descant
Verses:   Cantor    

Instruments:             
Harpsichord (or piano) with 2 recorders & oboe     

Availability:

Sheet Music:             

Full score; full score (through-composed)  
Order from Wood Harbor Music

Recorded Versions:

Video:       New Dawn Concert, May 20, 2011    Taste & See on YouTube 


CD:           Praise for the New Dawn, Vol. 1


             
Composer's Notes:

The inspiration for this setting of Psalm 34 is a song from a 16th century sacred Christmas carol titled Gaudetee.  This setting and the instrumentation are influenced by the renaissance style of Gaudete.  But then I inject this piece with modern pop reharmonizations in an unstable rhythm of ever-changing meter.  Witness the melody for Verse 1:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh5ED6Z1xLRWCwctgn399yx6NRT0iKo9MoktjYwaUJtaIMLODR4yERq2HdY5sD9o8qSbpY_OgYSPZlVqIbd9mT7TJ_qenopXv29y-8yo0mubfPFvytLFoIo0DB_CamAoxEPysOv6e5ibn4/s400/Ps034-Vs1.png
© 2006 R. J. F. Burckardt

Yet, despite the unsettled rhythm, the melody aligns well with the text and is surprisingly easier to sing than it looks!  (Well, at least for me and John Paul Casiello, who was undaunted and nailed it when we first used it for the responsorial psalm at St. Cecilia’s.)


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhWZuHF5uCM-R5M8YKY8bpU_VFAI_-n5h2fGsGcQEV57rt4gtMUsSX7JUkBY_Nf9s0eTTfC3JTQi9-eeBdkytr0sEzdmSFqAedwqzHfrfikatZSQEnJxI2o30DugghksfoCR5zxkKf6ToU/s200/JP-Taste%252BSee.jpg
John Paul Casiello singing Psalm 34 
at St. Cecilia Church, in the New Dawn
Concert, May 20, 2011.  Rachel 
J. Burckardt on keys (harpsichord).
In this recorded version, I chose further temporal bashing by using the midi files from the score to drive the renaissance instruments (harpsichord, recorders, oboe).  But, the tambourine is real!

But, if you’re saying “Ah, you used midi because no one can play that,” I must say “Not true.”  We have used it as the responsorial psalm at St. Cecilia’s, with our music director, Richard Clark playing the accompaniment on piano. That was the debut. A few years later, I played the harpsichord part live on a synth for the pre-release concert. [video to be added]  It is easier than it looks!

Why does the shifting meter seem normal to me.  I can’t dance! (And I’m proud of it!)  Shifting meter is simply normal to me.

Back to Wood Harbor Music

No comments:

Post a Comment