Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Psalm 23

General Information:

Liturgical Uses:
  Responsorial psalm, communion, themes of Jesus, the Shepherd

Refrain:      
“The Lord is my shepherd; nothing shall I want.  Fresh and green are the meadows where God leads me”            

© 1992 Rachel J. Burckardt.  All Rights Reserved.










Verses:     
1) By restful streams, God lead me refreshing my soul.
In fresh green meadows I wander, where I find rest.

2) Though I walk through the shadows of darkness, I need not fear.
God will lead me in safety through danger, safely to home.

3) God will prepare a table where I will feast.
Only goodness and kindness will follow, throughout my days.

Arrangement:

Vocal:                             

Refrain:  SAT choir
Verses:   Cantor  with Alto and Tenor harmonies  

Instruments:                
Piano with guitar and bass, plus synth and flute

Availability:

Sheet Music:                

Lead sheet with choral harmonies.
Order from Wood Harbor Music

Recorded Versions:
Listen at YouTube

CD:  How Long, O God

Order from Wood Harbor Music






Composer's Notes:
My approach to composing a setting for perhaps the most well-known of the psalms was to set the refrain simply, with confidence, and a touch of entitlement.  If we truly believe in God and God's care for us, we can feel confident that "God will lead me in safety through danger" and entitlement "Though I walk through the shadows of darkness, I need not fear."

The first verse sets up the peacefulness of the text by a slow melody supported by sustained A minor 9th chord.  The melody arpeggiates up, from the 5th to the 7th to the 9th.  The second half of the verse switches from the minor 9th to the A major 9th, with the raised 3rd reinforcing the sense of confidence.

The second verse starts on the same chord, but the melody is sped up, as one's heartbeat and pace naturally speeds up when in a place of danger.  Again, the first half is in minor, while the second half shifts to major, with the confidence that "God will lead me in safety."

The 3rd verse mixes the two settings, starting with the slower melody in minor, and ending with the faster melody in major.

The second verse adds an alto harmony, while the 3rd voice includes both alto and tenor harmonies.

While the liturgical score includes a SAT refrain (with the alto at times singing above the melody), the recording  for How Long, O God included a double choir with 2 sets of harmonies.

Back to Wood Harbor Music

No comments:

Post a Comment