Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Psalm 25

General Information:

Liturgical Uses:
  Responsorial psalm, psalm for Advent season, offertory or communion song.

Refrains:       Three versions of Psalm 25, each with a different refrain, are found in the Lectionary.  Settings for each of the 3 versions are available.

                  
1)  “To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.”
©2006 Rachel J. Burckardt. All Rights Reserved.
                                
2)  “Your way, O Lord, are love and truth to those who keep your covenant.” 
©2006, 2009 Rachel J. Burckardt. All Rights Reserved.
3)  “Teach me your ways, O Lord, my God.”
©2006, 2009 Rachel J. Burckardt. All Rights Reserved.

Verses:                            
The verses are the same for each of the three refrains:

1) Your ways, 0 Lord, make known to me;
Teach me your paths
Guide me, teach me, for you are my Savior.

2) Remember your compassion, Lord, and your kindness of old.
Remember this, and not my sins,in your goodness, 0 Lord.

3) The-Lord is good and just; the sinners know the way.
God guides the meek to justice, and teaches the humble.  

Arrangement:

Vocal:                             

Refrain:  unison
Verses:   Cantor    

Instruments:                
Piano with guitar and bass 


Availability:

Sheet Music:                

Lead sheets for each of the 3 refrains.
Order from Wood Harbor Music

Recorded Versions:


Video:       Click here        
CD:          You Are My Inheritance 


Composer's Notes:
The setting is intentionally simple and peaceful.  The cantor can simply sing the lyrics and it provides the intended result.

The end of each verse has a descending line, suspended over a C pedal, with half notes in the piano part that begins in unison with the cantor, and descends to the 3rd of the dominant which sets up the tonic on the first beat of the refrain.

Back to Wood Harbor Music

No comments:

Post a Comment